I have to warn you guys, the program takes a lot of work to put together, but if you do it right, it is definitely something that will appeal to a wide audience.
The first thing I did was decided that all of my questions were going to be library related. But I also did a second round of surveys with a music theme, so I can use them for Summer Reading.
For the library themed game, I asked things like "how many hours a week do you spend reading" and "how many books do you normally check out at one time." Then I put these questions into a Survey Monkey survey in order to solicit respondents. (Keep in mind, Survey Monkey's free platform allows you to create surveys of up to 10 questions each. I ended up with 16 questions so I created 2 surveys to avoid paying). I then posted survey links on my personal Facebook, as well as on a few groups I am a member of, and e-mailed them out to my coworkers.
I got my 100 respondents shockingly fast, so make sure you keep an eye on the numbers and close the survey as soon as you get 100 responses. It's going to be hard enough to cull through all the answers with just those 100 trust me.
|Also worth noting, the free version of Survey Monkey caps your surveys at 100 responses, which is actually perfect.|
Once I had my responses, I had to go through them, and that was a tiny little nightmare. Do this any way you think will work, but what worked best for me at the end, was, once the survey was closed, I copied and pasted ALL the answers for each question into a Word document. Then it was easy, though highly time consuming to group like answers together and see what my top answers were.
Like on the game show, I kept only the top 5-6 answers that were given and threw all others out for playing purposes. (Someone actually asked during game play why point totals were not adding up to 100 so I felt that ought to be explained on here as well). I printed out answers and number of responses and attached them to poster boards and just used construction paper taped over them to create our super low-tech "board" which worked out fabulously!
|My "boards." Simple, easy to make, and easy to use during play.|
This was one of the very few times I asked for registration in advance. This was because I wanted to have an idea of which teams to pair against each other, since the game was open to ages 8 and up... it didn't feel very fair to have, say a team with a bunch of elementary school kids up against a team of adults.
I got good coverage for the event through posts on social media, the local paper and even a DJ on a local radio station who signed her family up and mentioned the program on her show.
Gameplay was just like on the show... 2 teams pitted against each other per round and one person from each team doing a face off to determine which team would play the round. Steals were allowed after 3 wrong answers, and top score after 2 rounds was considered the winning team. We were able to get through 6 rounds in about 50 minutes, and this was after throwing out one "round" which not person could give an answer to. I had a table with random prizes that the winners got to choose from, and there was enough for every person to take something home. In the end I would call this an extremely successful program! I even got a call from a player the next day telling me how much fun they had and thanking me for hosting.